So what's this all about?

Having had strong views on matters for as long as I can remember, yet derived with an open mind on issues spanning sex, politics, religion, food, wine and other apparently equally 'controversial' subjects, I have been encouraged to put fingers to blog, and put some structure to it all.

My hope is simply to evoke discussion, nurture strong debate, and entertain all at the same time. I therefore invite you to join me on this journey..

Monday 15 July 2013

African Safari - July '13 - Day 8 in the Bush

Bushbuck ram below the deck
I like to think of myself as fairly open minded about things.  Perhaps I'm delusional, but I think not. Take my sons choice of music. Perhaps my early indoctrination infusion of that excellent musical era, the '80's (not hair or fashion lets face it) has paid off, because I generally like their musical tastes. e.g. Dylan seems rather blown away by Dire Straights at the moment. I am honest that I cannot tolerate crap music (otherwise referred to as rap), but for the rest, even the poor cover versions of my beloved 80's numbers, I'm there or there abouts.

Rather disconcerting however to be singing one of my least favourite current pop artist's numbers this evening whilst starting the fire, "I'm rough like a diamond, I'm rough like a diamond..', only for my sons to fall about in hysterics. Apparently it's, "Shine bright like a diamond..". But I do think that there is a certain albeit brutal honesty in my rendition, and I'm sticking to it Rihanna. Sorry babe.

Quiet day in the bush today, relatively speaking. Last night's herd of elephant apparently hadn't gone far as they crossed the Olifants River in front of our spot this morning, with the little ones swimming between two adults, carefully guiding them across and protecting them from the large Nile crocodiles nearby and strong flow of the water 'til safely on the far bank. It's incredible to watch as their trunks become snorkels and the little ones that can't touch the bottom swim with those unwieldy legs. 30 in all, so we missed a few in last night's count. Other than that some excellent bird spotting from the deck and other game already mentioned. I don't like to talk too much about those with the bogus Chinese aphrodisiac appendage, as the less said about their prolific state the better for fear of their annihilation, but we have seen many beauties it must be said. All treated with the toxic horn treatment and die in attempt to ward off would be poachers and kill the market at it's source. But enough melancholy.

Nile crocodile on the far bank where the ellies cross

Game drive at Dawn's Crack tomorrow is on the cards with Chris and Alex particularly enthusiastic. I'm already looking forward to my afternoon zizz.

No comments:

Post a Comment