So what's this all about?

Having had strong views on matters for as long as I can remember, yet derived with an open mind on issues spanning sex, politics, religion, food, wine and other apparently equally 'controversial' subjects, I have been encouraged to put fingers to blog, and put some structure to it all.

My hope is simply to evoke discussion, nurture strong debate, and entertain all at the same time. I therefore invite you to join me on this journey..

Monday 15 July 2013

African Safari - July '13 - Day 5 in the Bush

View of the house from the river bank (I took this very quickly before sprinting back to safety - it had to be done)
Lazy start to day 5 in the bush, with the boys deciding that a sleep in was in order. Much lion and hyena calling activity throughout the night, but the morning was quiet and uneventful, despite much bird watching from the deck and some small maintenance chores that we'd be avoiding up until now.

The night drive route I chose this eve was a long one, but to one of my favourite dams where we've been lucky to spot incredible game over the years. But tonight in the warmth of the setting sun all was quiet, bar sand grouse, franklin, sociable weavers, and guinea-fowl amongst others, heading for their night roosts. Just the clink of our drinks glasses broke the evening sounds as the crickets started up, and the occasional fart from the boys in the rear of the vehicle followed by a small giggle and a shudder of the vehicle, and much gnashing of teeth amongst the rest of us. Fortunately, open game vehicles have a dual purpose, that is for sure..

Tonight a bottle of Raka Quinery around the fire, and a Dominican for me, with not a sound but the rushing Olifants River beside us. Chris and Dyl headed for bed after a while, leaving Alex and I to fend off the wild beasties on our own. Of course made all the easier by great, easy, lingering discussion on matters of worldly importance such as, "Dad, who were you best mates at school?", and "What did you guys do for fun?", followed a little while later with, "Are they all still alive?", and other facets of life that make sitting around a fire with my boys something I cherish and hope to continue for years to come.


Wrap around view of the Olifants River

No comments:

Post a Comment