So what's this all about?

Having had strong views on matters for as long as I can remember, yet derived with an open mind on issues spanning sex, politics, religion, food, wine and other apparently equally 'controversial' subjects, I have been encouraged to put fingers to blog, and put some structure to it all.

My hope is simply to evoke discussion, nurture strong debate, and entertain all at the same time. I therefore invite you to join me on this journey..

Monday 12 November 2018

The Non-romance of War and the Irony of Celebrating It

With all the past weekend's 'celebrations' of war (WWI in particular), it brought to mind the fact that perhaps the non-romantic realities of war are still all too fresh in the minds of my generation of South African men, who not too long ago were fresh-faced 18 year olds finishing Matric, and about to have a rifle shoved in our hands, with the chance of never coming back. Many didn't, and many more who did, were never the same again..

I don't see war as a celebration in any make or form, and this poem by Siegfried Sassoon puts it rather succinctly for me:

"You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye - 
Who cheer when soldier lads march by -
Sneak home and pray you'll never know -
The hell where youth and laughter go."


The author during the Angolan and Cold Wars 1985 / His Great Grandfather Nathan McLeod circa 1920 who served in both WWI & WWII





No comments:

Post a Comment