So what's this all about?

Having had strong views on matters for as long as I can remember, yet derived with an open mind on issues spanning sex, politics, religion, food, wine and other apparently equally 'controversial' subjects, I have been encouraged to put fingers to blog, and put some structure to it all.

My hope is simply to evoke discussion, nurture strong debate, and entertain all at the same time. I therefore invite you to join me on this journey..

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Cynical on the Syrian Scenario

Call me a cynic, but I'm not convinced by the US and UK’s intended approach on Syria.  Why?  Well not because I think that what the Syrian government and their forces are doing is worth supporting, however I just don’t believe that US Intelligence is what it used to be.  Having served with Nato Intelligence myself on operations within the SA Navy in the late ‘80’s, I am not coming from an entirely naive perspective here.   I don’t think that one has to be a rocket scientist to have some scepticism when it comes to the US Propaganda Machine and the nonsense it churns out to unsuspecting middle-class America as untampered, legit proof of anything.  The Russians are not convinced, nor are somewhat more astute ordinary Americans and Brits this time around it seems, judging by recent poles, as to their government’s intent on going to war against Syria merely based upon the notion that the Syrian government backed army  used chemical weapons. 

I'm not saying that their information is definitely incorrect either.  However evidence seems to be mounting as to a rebel led tactic of using chemical weapons themselves on innocent people in order to provoke a seemingly gullible US/UK led attack on the Syrian army.   By all accounts, this tactic seems to be working.  One can reasonably doubt the power of a rebel PR machine so powerful so as to have even the usually gullible American ‘man in the street’ questioning their government’s apparent gung-ho stance.  Perhaps the lessons of Vietnam, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan are coming home to roost?


Either way, if I were to be giving any advice to my old Intel colleagues of old, it would be to make damn sure this time, and to keep emotions and political agendas out of it completely (if that’s possible).  Otherwise weigh up pretty smartly the consequences of mayhem in the Middle East (which will undoubtedly flow), not to mention the costly damage to homes and infrastructure as well as the innocent death toll. 


There may be another agenda at play here, and these two countries don’t have a particularly great track record at toppling regimes and replacing them with something much better now do they?  For more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/6/syrian-rebels-used-sarin-nerve-gas-not-assads-regi/

No comments:

Post a Comment